Setting Routines and Schedules
We all need visual supports and use them throughout the day! A visual schedule organizes a sequence of events and enhances your child’s ability to understand, anticipate, and participate in the events. The way in which schedules are presented may vary from child to child. They can be made up of small pictures or can be written. They can also look different visually. Activities may be presented in a variety of ways.
HOW TO USE A VISUAL SCHEDULE
* Place the schedule in a central area of your home.
* Introduce the schedule to your child.
* Encourage your child to review the schedule with you by either reading it out loud or pointing to the pictures.
* Complete the activity. If needed, your child may take the picture of the activity and go to the designated area with it.
* Depending upon the type of schedule being used, your child may check off, place the picture in a specific spot, or do something else to show they completed the activity.
* Your child will then check their schedule and move to the next activity.* Your child will continue to follow these steps until the routine/schedule is complete.